Thursday, October 11, 2007

A Little Me

Cannon is 15 months old. I have had nieces and a nephew, but he is the first kid I have been around enough to really influence. I know that this has been written about in thousands of books before, but it is still such a scary experience to see this kid do the things I do. For instance everything that has a handle and can be picked up is a light saber complete with sound effects. Thankfully he has his mother to be the positive influence. She’s the reason he will hand you his juice glass when he is done instead of just throwing it on the floor.

I finally finished reading Herman Melville’s The Confidence Man, and started a book that so far I highly recommend. It’s called Three Men in a Boat (to Say Nothing of the Dog). This is probably another case of me being the last to read a book that everyone I know already loves (I first read Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy when I was 25). But if you haven’t read it and you have some form of electronic device that can display text you can get it for free here, or you can have it read to you here.

An update from last week I finished the Protrade challenge 27th. I made it to as high as second with 4 days left in the challenge, but fell steadily from there.

I found www.songmeanings.net this week which has the potential to be a site with endless hours of amusement possibilities. Unfortunately, it is mostly used by people to state their opinion that a band is cool. Still if you can suffer through several pages of that kind of thing you can get some interesting insight into song lyrics. I thought I would enjoy looking up the more vague songs that always make you ask, “I wonder what the meant by that;” however, the most amusing ones are for songs that are the most straight forward. I still remember a group of us in high school explaining to Tiffany that yes that is what the song meant.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you thinking of someone else? I was aware of what Strawberry Wine was about, as evidenced by the fact that I don't really remember it now because I apparently changed the radio station every time it was on like a good youth group member. It was playing on the radio the other day and I couldn't figure out what song it was until it got to the chorus. I did engage in "voluntary denial" about other songs, but apparently this one wasn't catchy enough.

Brandon said...

Apparently, I am still confused. Strawberry wine isn't about wine? I don't get it all. However, congratulations on your Thursday blog. YAY. And, it seems you do have a carbon copy in Cannon--I could not believe when I saw his birthday picture. But, can he make the monkey face yet?